Sid> x86_64 server ------------------ Spec: Dell R520, two quad-core
Sid> Xeons (E5-2407 v2 @ 2.40GHz), 32GB of memory.

Sid> The server's serial is redirected to the IPMI console. On the
Sid> IPMI console, I see many messages related to the bios, etc. And
Sid> finally, I see this:

The serial port redirected over IPMI is usually com2 not com1.

If you change the boot command to:

        kernel mboot.c32
        append sel4kernel console_port=0x2f8 debug_port=0x2f8 --- sel4rootserver

you may see the correct output.

Sid> x86_64 Desktop ---------------------- Spec: Core 2 Quad, 4 GB ram

Sid> Fortunately, even though the serial pins did not have any output,
Sid> the monitor output was the same as for the server. Unfortunately,
Sid> it did not get any farther along than the server.

Sid> MBR SYSLINUX 6.04 EDD [...]  Loading sel4kernel... ok Loading
Sid> rootserver... ok

Again, check *which* serial port you hooked up.  Booting linux, and
doing something like
  stty 115200 < /dev/ttyS0
  echo foo > /dev/ttyS0

will tell you if you have serial hooked up right.
Possibilities are:
 -- need to swap Rx and Tx lines on the connector
 -- talking to wrong port (com2 instead of com1)

Peter C

--
Dr Peter Chubb                https://trustworthy.systems/
Trustworthy Systems Group                        CSE, UNSW