On 6/20/2024 3:59 PM, thomas.j.hamp...@gmail.com wrote:
<SNIP>
However I came into some time and decided to revisit the problem.
- #define MULTIBOOT_GRAPHICS_TEXT 2 is an error; Multiboot1 spec has that this
should be 1, instead
   - When I was trying to boot UEFI, this would manifest as a Protection Fault
   - Fixing this left the system booting, utilizing high amount of CPU, and
then going quiet.
- UEFI on this platform has unclear / additional requirements / doesn't
actually support EGA/VGA text mode

-https://www.reddit.com/r/osdev/comments/st0psl/framebuffer_output_for_multiboot_not_working/

Thomas,

You are much farther along than I, as I am still on QEMU running under WSL2...

Just a note on UEFI: I don't think you will be able to get EGA/VGA available/usable on a UEFI boot.  However, UEFI does support creation of linear framebuffer (contiguous block of video memory) during boot process, which can be passed (in theory) to seL4 at startup.  I saw some CMake options for a linear framebuffer in the seL4 build system but I haven't pursued it yet to see what/how-much is actually implemented there.

-Ben