On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 08:42 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
main uses of xlib:
* writing window managers
* writing toolkits
* insane monkeys
* writing really small simple display programs that must require as little on
the host system as possible.
BINGO! Yes, that's it, exactly. What is not helping me is that I am not a programmer, I am a person that likes programming and then sets himself these tasks and tries to achieve them based upon tutorials and simple examples (reprehensible, I know!)
My first goal is to add a display function to a C++ class of mine that works with PNG images. It already relies on libpng, and I wanted to try and do it with xlib, instead of Gtk (more people will have X11 installed than those who have Gtk).

Thanks for the comments.

Paul