Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to speed up X applications and I'm facing huge
performance problems. I believe some of you might be able to point out what
could be the problem in this particular case.

First, a few quick facts:

-We use X with the frame buffer device (Xfbdev)
-Our X applications are in fact Java AWT applications, and our Java machine
uses Motif as the underlying graphical toolkit.

When lauching the application locally, something as simple as displaying a
single windows may take more than 7 minutes. During those 7 minutes, System
is at 99% load. We tested the X application on slower devices, and
execution time is well under 7 minutes.

Redirecting $DISPLAY on another machine makes the same application execute
in a few seconds (10 seconds actually). Starting his X application from
another machine and redirecting $DISPLAY on the device where the frame
buffer is located also executes properly in a few seconds. From those
facts, executing the application locally should take around the same time,
but that's not the case :(

Does anyone have any idea where the bottleneck could be?

Thanks,

                        -Dominic

--
Dominic Duval