Mike has reported to me a crash with the new FreeType backend and the
Caslon fonts included with SuSE.  (Mike, could you be so kind as to
follow up with a stable URL for the fonts?)

I'm stuck.  The problem doesn't happen with xfs, and it doesn't happen
with a monolithic server.  So it must be in some way related to the
module loader.

A couple of hours of printf-based debugging got me to the point where
the crash happens within the FreeType library.  I've been unable to
make the loader-aware debugger work on my system (crashes at startup,
and the osource won't build).

If anyone can help, please do.

(David, does that count as a release-critical bug?)

                                        Juliusz