On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Yes, it does! Now that I am learning more about this I am happy to see
> > > that someone saw fit to make it so XAA drivers can hook stuff at many
> > > levels. Very cool. It should be better documented though ;-)
> >
> >    I think there are very few reasons to hook stuff at higher levels.
> > I don't believe you have a reason to do so.
>
> We do. We have our own device driver abstraction layer and using the low
> level XAA functions does not map at all well to our driver modle. Hence
> hooking at the next level up (MID) will allow us to avoid the overheads
> of translating between the low level XAA model and our driver model.

   I forgot that you had your own driver API that you were translating
to.  Hooking WriteBitmap is reasonable to handle the proportional fonts.
For fixed fonts you can replace the TEGlyph renderer and have it use
the existing glyph_scanline_func[width - 1] to render into a scratch
bitmap. See the XAATEGlyphRenderer for an example.

                        Mark.