Driver communication in the XINPUT protocol is very incomplete,
and even less complete in XFree86.

The only way to do it now within the XINPUT protocol is to mis-use
an existing Feedback control. But, most feedback controls are not
yet implemented in 4.x. THe only way I have found to work is to
encapsulate data in XChangeDeviceControl messages. For example,
if valuator 0 is zero, then valuator 1 contains data to append to
an internal data buffer, which could be a plain text string ending
in NUL. You could then parse that string for simple parameter/value]
pairs.

Joe Krahn

Burt Bicksler wrote:
Hi,

I'm working with a touch screen driver in XFree86 4.0.x.. and I have need to communicate with the touch screen driver from an X application that is used for calibration.

Specifically I want to be able to turn off existing calibration, and then give the driver updated configuration after the user is finished.

What is the best way to perform this type of communication with an XInput driver from an X application?

Thanks,
Burt