On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:27:20PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:59:48AM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:11:34AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>>
>> >BTW, Dawes, what are the plans for post 4.3.0 XFree86 ? This kind of
>> >thing would most assuredly go into the thinking about 5.x, but some of
>> >the stuff here, and about the dual-head/one FB (which would allow DRI on
>> >dual head cards) could also be implemented in the current setting.
>>
>> We definitely want to discuss the dual-seat possibilities in the context
>> of 5.0.
>>
>> I agree that dual-head/one FB (single seat) can be handled in the current
>> 4.x environment.  Several 3rd party drivers already handle this in one
>> way or another.  I did some configuration and infrastructure related
>> work on this for a project that got cut.  One of the things this handled
>> was the configuration for mutiple monitor viewports being attached to
>> a single screen.  Now that 4.3.0 is out, I'd like to go back and finish
>> that off, and modify one of the existing dual CRTC drivers to make use
>> of it.
>
>There was some discution about this in the DRI mailing list, and i am
>also currently writing a driver which would need this kind of thing.
>
>I guess that you can tell the driver via the device section that it is
>to share the Framebuffer between monitors and that you can then use the
>viewport on the display subsection to set the viewport to wherever you
>want.

The static configuration handles associating multiple monitors, sets of
modes, initial viewport positioning, etc with a single Device/Screen.

>Now, if you want one of the viewports to do some scaling too, either
>because your LCD monitor is fixed size, and a program want to run in
>another size, or for having one viewport displaying a zoomed part of the
>other or whatever. I think this is not currently possible, but i may be
>wrong. Also it would be nice if we could follow a window with a
>viewport, and adjust the zoom factor accordyingly.

Mode switching would work for multiple monitors, and they could be made
to switch independently.  Handling this switching, and providing useful
run-time control over the origin of the viewports is the next step after
the static configuration.  It could be handled with some combination of
hot keys, pointer scrolling, and/or a control client.

Are you also interested in doing scaling other than what you get for
free by having one monitor display at a lower resolution?

>BTW, is it normal that SDL games requesting 640x480 try to set it even
>if i did only specify 1024x768 in the monitor modes, and thus give blank
>screens ? I observed this both in my being worked on driver and in the
>vesa driver (using frozen-bubbles and solarwolf in fullscreen mode).

I've seen games that just put a 640x480 window in one corner of the
1024x768 screen when there's no 640x480 monitor mode available.

David
--
David Dawes
Release Engineer/Architect                      The XFree86 Project