On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:30:27AM -0800, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
>    could you also post your XF86Config file?  I have some ideas on how
> to extend this.  It's still kind of a hack, but here goes:
>
> add an option to the radeon driver, say "MergedFB" or something like

I was going to use option "Shared", but i guess "SharedFB" would be ok
also. Shared seems more related to what we do than merged.

> that.  when that option is set to TRUE, it would skip the sections of
> code that you have commented out.
>
> next add "sub" options for "MergedFB"  like:
>
> Option "MFB-Xres" "2048"
> Option "MFB-Yres" "768"
>
> these would set the virtualX and Y instead of having to hardcode them.

Is anything wrong with using the Virtual field of the Display subsection ?

It could be calculated by the driver, the only problem is that you need
the both screens to already up to do that, this may be difficult. One
thing i thought about was to check on which head we are when doing
modeinit, and wait for the initialization of both heads before we can do
the real modeinit, using information from both resolutions, but this
seems somewhat hacky also. It is nicer than having to specify it in a
driver option though.

> it's still hackey, but would clean it up a bit and allow run time
> configuration.

BTW, what about the Xinerama hinting needed for desktop managers and
such, will that work fine also ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther