Marc Aurele La France <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The binaries you provide for your driver should be generated against the
> > earliest (public) XFree86 version that provides the functionality your
> > driver depends on.  If that means 4.1.0, then that means 4.1.0.  This does
> > not absolve you of the responsibility to ensure the thus-generated binary
> > works with later core binary versions.
>
> Allow me to qualify that...
>
> The binaries you provide for your driver should be generated against the
> earliest (public) XFree86 version that provides the functionality your
> driver depends on and provides the suport base you are willing to live
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> with.  If that means 4.1.0, then that means 4.1.0.  This does not absolve
> ^^^^
> you of the responsibility to ensure the thus-generated binary works with
> later core binary versions.

Right, we plan to test with every version of XFree86 to ensure
compatibility (along with tons of Linux distros; ugh). We would like to
support all versions of XFree86 with our module, and we have no problem
building different modules as necessary to support those versions. What I
am trying to figure out is what the smallest set of module versions I can
build to ensure compatibility.

It would be nice if I could build a 4.0.3 module and have it work with
4.0.0-4.0.3, but it sounds like I need to build 4.0.0 to work with all
4.0.x versions, right?

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~