Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:44:37 -0700 "Mark Cuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

Hello all,

I have a question regarding wide aspect LCD panels and XFree...  I'm thinking
about a new laptop (a Dell Inpsiron 8500) that was a wide aspect LCD (1920 x
1200).  I've never run XFree86 on anything other than a 4:3 ratio monitor, and
am wondering if this wide aspect screen would pose a problem?

you biggest problems will be aesthetic. x itself doesn't care what the aspect
is. it's irrelevant really. the real problem will be with desktop and other
application software making the general assumption of 4:3 ratio and so images
may get stretched a bit wider or tiled when you dont want them to etc. it's all
on a app-by-app, case-by-case basis.

X does support the concept of seperate DPI in the X & Y direction on a per screen basis. I'm not sure that any drivers do much but fill in a default value which would be inaccurate for non-square pixels. Then there's the issue of the applications paying attention to this value...

--
                               /\
         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _