On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D. wrote:

> !   Assuming you actually have core dumps enabled, the server
> !will often not dump core unless you turn off its signal
> !trapping facility in the XF86Config file.
> !
> !Section "ServerFlags"
> !       Option "NoTrapSignals"
> !EndSection
>
> I find that xfig still core dumps when the X server crashes, as before,
> but XFree86 does not, although the console becomes corrupted
> with the "NoTrapSignals" option, and the system must be restarted.
> So, I'm at a loss now as to how to get the X server to core dump;
> I would expect it to "just happen".

   I could be some permissions thing.  The server runs with root
privledges so you have to be careful where you dump stuff.

   Can you login remotely and run the server under the debugger,
or attach the debugger to the running server?

  gdb /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 serverpid

will attach to a running server.  Then you do the

   module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

from the gdb prompt to load the modules, then continue.  Any exceptions
will show up in GDB.

                        Mark.