Kendall Bennett wrote (in a message from Monday 31)
 > Kevin Brosius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >
 > > Depends somewhat on how RH does X init.  You can look through
 > > startx and xinit setup and see what's being changed.
 >
 > Isn't the installer supposed to not replace xinit.rc if the file already
 > exists? That is what the comment in the xf86site.def file says, but that
 > would appear not to be the case?

Yes it's supposed to be the case. That's why it would be good to find
out what the exact problem is. I suspect it's a file that appears (ie
some file that isn't present in RH default install and gets installed
by 'make install') that causes this problem, but I'm not sure.

 > Granted, but since XFree86 appears to be starved for developers and
 > testers, don't you think it would be a good idea to make it painless for
 > testers to do a full build and install *without* blowing away their
 > current system configuration?

Sure it *is* a problem that should be solved. But it's hard to guess
what is in RH config that causes it to fail.

 > Might make more people willing to test
 > XFree86 releases on their machines. One experience like I had for the
 > average tester who just wants to help out is likely to cause him to re-
 > install his Linux distro and never run a 'make install' again ;-)

We all agree. But problems can't be fixed only by complaining. Could
you send us lists of files (with sizes or modification dates) and
symlinks in /etc/X11 before (that is the clean RH installer result)
and after 'make install' on a RH system ?  That would probably help
finding what's wrong.

                                        Matthieu