On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Bryan W. Headley wrote:

>Is anyone aware of a project to allow a userland tool, such as a
>front-end GUI, communicate with an X input driver?
>
>This is what I want to do, and yeah, there is a bit of overlap
>Zephaniah Hull's evdev: there are several parameters to my Aiptek tablet
>driver which should be modifiable once X is running. Among those are
>active area settings, mouse/stylus button transposal settings and the
>like. I'd like for it to be bidirectional, insofar as it needs to report
>it's settings as well as configure itself.
>
>To do this properly entails implementing a callback method in the
>drivers (e.g., it's not for input events but rather for configuration),
>and something at a higher level that listens to a socket, named pipe,
>jms, smtp, m-o-u-s-e and can route/dispatch messages to the appropriate
>driver.
>
>Where evdev comes in (I think) is that it establishes a channel of
>communications to pass along hardware insertion/removal events generated
>by hotplug. So there's some infrastructure there already: the question
>is whether leveraging off of that is a good way to go...
>
>Any "guilty heads" out there?

ARGH.  I am guilty of reading the subject and very quickly
skimming the body without actually reading it all.  Ignore my
last post....  ;o)

I was trying to give a quick and helpful reply without taking the
time to read everything you said, and only after i hit reply did
a couple words catch me that indicated to me what you wanted
wasn't what I was alluding to.  ;o)

Take care,
TTYL

--