[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > Of course, there are such advantages to using bugzilla, but the above listed
 > >  > steps are a lot more overhead for submission of trivial patches than
 > >  >
 > >  >         cvs diff foo.c | mail -s "Trivial patch to foo" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > >  >
 > >  > For a very short patch like this:
 > >  >

 > > Certainly. But this is just too bad: we cannot make it right for
 > > everyone. People have been pressing us to provide a bugzilla.
 > > Of course sometimes another solution may be better. But now since
 > > we have it we should it should be used.
 > > Besides I have been advocating a somewhat simpler IF for bug
 > > submissions. However we need somebody with experience in tweaking
 > > the bugzilla frontend to do this. We already have one volunteed to
 > > help. Maybe there will be a lot less overhead in the future.
 >
 > Hopefully.
 >
 > I guess I'm just sharing your frustration.  As you've been saying there were
 > lots of advocates for bugzilla that indicated a willingness to help, but that
 > hasn't happened (at least so far).  Along with that, in that most recent round
 > of bugzilla advocacy, one of the advertised benefits was email access, but it
 > hasn't happened.  I've used at least three other bug/trouble ticket tracking
 > systems that had at least some functions available via email and they've
 > been much nicer to work with because of it.

To my knowledge this is available in bugzilla also.
But a lot of advocates appearantly only knew bugzilla from
the user side or from hearsay. They have been working with
highly tweaked and beautified interfaces.
I wonder why non of these tweaks make it back into the official
bugzilla.

 > Anyway, since Marc committed that small patch embedded in my last message, well
 > under an hour after I sent it, it seems this list is a very efficient email
 > interface to the XFree86 patch submission system  ;^)

It can be efficient but your patches could just as well get lost.
There are projects that neither have a bugtracking system nor
a publically visible bug tracking system. There patches are always
sent to the developers list. People interested in a specific patch
just pick it up and apply it to their source tree for testing.
The patch then gets discussed on the very same list and eventually
some maintainer will pick it up and stick it in the next official
version - a happy anarchy but a lively community.
We have all the nice gadgets now - like bugzilla, cvs etc. but still
the community is far from being lively.
There are too many folks out on this list who have great expectations
but little willingness to make things happen.
However there is hope. We already have one volunteer to help out
with the bugzilla.

Egbert.