I had this problem as well at one point when I was messing with the
savage driver.  What was weird was I hadn't messed with any of the vbe
stuff.  I think it ended up being a bad pointer reference or something
like that.  also, if you are attempting to mess with programming
dualhead, you need to turn off the "usebios" mode stuff or it will muck
up the crtc's.

Alex