In the XFree86 distributed with RedHat Linux (up to and including
RedHat 9.0), I have had to disable acceleration for Radeon:

        Section "Device"
                Option  "NoAccel"
        EndSection

With acceleration enabled, my machine locked up and required a
hard reset.  I don't know if this is true for other distributions.

After building a new server from the current XFree86 source, I
can enable acceleration with no problem.

Chris Burghart

Lucio wrote:
Hi everybody!
I have a sapphire m275 with radeon 7000, 32Mb, integrated.
I can't make XFree86 work with it. With radeon or ati driver, system crashes when I launch X server, the screen gets black, keyboard leds light on and i have to physically shut down the pc.
Any ideas?