On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> >>        - Incorporate X.Org responses to comments #'s 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12,
> >>          13, 14 and 15 (taken from an X.Org-internal document dated 2003.06.17).

> I'm still working on a second round of patches for the X.org review
> to incorporate the changes from the comments of the first round of review, and
> the X.org architecture task force is still finishing the documentation for the
> look at your changes as well for inclusion in the patches.

Yes, I gathered as much.  Ping me when you feel it's appropriate.  I can
work from an updated patch (against whatever version you prefer) or, if
necessary, an updated comments document more recent than 2003.06.17.

> >>        - Replace HasIPv6 imake symbol with BuildIPv6, defaulting it to YES, and
> >>          build in IPv6 support whenever BuildIPv6 is asserted _and_ the OS
> >>          #define's AF_INET6.  This is to maximise IPv6 code exposure and
> >>          eliminate <OS>.cf file changes to support IPv6.

> One word of warning - unless you changed it (I haven't looked yet) the patches
> we supplied assume that if built with IPv6 defined, you can always use an
> AF_INET6 socket to open a connection to any IPv4 or IPv6 host.  This can fail
> on OS'es where you can recompile your kernel without IPv6 support, and as has
> been discussed on other mailing lists, a fallback to AF_INET4 for IPv4 addresses
> if AF_INET6 fails needs to be coded in for Linux/BSD distributors who want to
> ship with IPv6 by default, but allow the same binary packages to run on systems
> without IPv6 support as well.

My feeling is that this is addressed by your response to comment #15
(which I've integrated).

> > - libdps needs IPv6 work.  Perhaps other things (not included in X.Org's
> >   tree) do also.

> True.  I did not touch DPS at all - I didn't think anyone made a DPS/NX
> standalone agent that was IPv6 capable, nor that anyone was working on it.
> I believe as long as you only use DPS as an extension built into the X server
> it will work fine (at least we haven't seen problems with that on Solaris
> since we shipped like this in Solaris 9).

I think the best thing to do here is to recode DPS to rely on xtrans.  But
that's out of my league at the moment...

> As for other things in XFree86 outside the X.org tree, you may want to try
> running the Sun "IPv6 socket scrubber" (it greps for code that is likely to
> need changing).  It's what I used when I started working on IPv6 for Xsun and
> then the X.org/XFree86 ports to determine what areas to look at.  Unfortunately,
> since I left all the old IPv4 code in and made the IPv6 an alternative instead
> of a replacement (since otherwise we'd break all the old platforms), it will
> return "false positives" on all the old code.  You can download the scrubber
> for free from http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/ipv6/

Super.  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll check this out.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |