On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:10:14AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Anyone in my position who has to deal with these types of support
> questions or customer/user feedback, will very likely know
> exactly where I am coming from, and will strongly back up my
> statement that it is often better to just shut the hell up and
> not say anything to a customer/user about something than it is to
> be honest and then upset them even more, possibly getting them to
> spread their negativity around and generate more bad publicity or
> angst toward your company.

    I'll back that up. Besides which, after a few years of being bitched
at (and in one case involving a friend who's a senior software engineer
at a commodity graphics vendor, physically threatened) because their
company wasn't doing enough for Linux/OSS, I know a number of folks in
industry who have moved well away from their initial pro-Linux/OSS
position. It would be foolish to think that the personal views of
important individuals inside a company do not have an effect on that
company's official policies.

    It definitely DOES NOT WORK to harangue, Slashdot, or otherwise
abuse the people responsible for the product you care about. At best you
and others like you will be tuned out in the future. At worst you will
be responsible for creating hostility towards you and your needs. There
is no upside to this behavior.

    Jon
    __@/