On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:28:10PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:14:06AM -0500, Todd T. Fries wrote:
>> Penned by Daniel Stone on Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:51:49PM +1000, we have:
>> [..]
>> | I did suggest this (mv hp,v hp.old,v).
>>
>> If you guys care about history at all, aka the ability to checkout files
>> in the past, you would not suggest nor impement this suggestion.
>
>If anyone cared about it, they wouldn't still be using CVS, probably. :P

What a ridiculous comment.  Aside from this little problem, you can
check out any any tagged release of XFree86 over the last 9 years.  That
you can do this is not an accident.  (Versions before this were in a
different respository.)  This problem happened by going beyond CVS's
limits.  CVS works just fine (and predictably) providing its limits are
understood and worked within.  I'm not aware of a sufficiently free
alternative that meets this minimum requirement.

>Yes, but what's the alternate solution? I really don't like the changed-case
>solution, as that sets a precedent of sorts. A note should be made somewhere of
>the moved files.

In this case I think XKB is flexible enough to allow the issue to be
avoided.  I'm going to see if I can change our 'cvs' so that it won't
allow the changed-case "solution".

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project