On Tuesday 12 of August 2003 16:53, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> > I'm working on mouse.c personally, trying to add cordless mouse status
> > reporting and some cordless-specific runtime control, such as RF channel
> > switching. Unfortunately the only way I've found to communicate with
> > userland is using shared memory (vide synaptics driver). But it has a
> > drawback that it cannot be used to communicate with remote display, as
> > it's not using the X protocol. One could try to communicate using LED
> > feedbacks (like in citron driver), but there seem to be no way to
> > manipulate feedbacks of the core pointer, so it's limited to extension
> > devices. Or maybe I am mistaken, and there is a way?
> > Could someone more familiar with input drivers clarify it?
>
> I'm not aware of any restriction with the mouse driver.

>From XChangeFeedbackControl (3x11):
"BadDevice
 An invalid device was specified. The specified device does not exist or has
not been opened by this client via XOpenInputDevice."

And you can only XOpenDevice if it is not a core pointer:
"BadDevice
 An invalid device was specified. The specified device does not exist, or is
the X keyboard or X pointer."
[XOpenDevice (3x11)]

Or maybe there is another way to manipulate feedbacks that I am not aware of
and it helps to get this problem around?

> But I think the
> LED feedback is very limited, both in terms of packet size, and in terms
> of reply.

Sure, it is limited, but at least it's a way to setup bidirectional
driver-userland communication thru the X protocol, and the packet size
problem is just a matter of protocol design. And I really don't need any big
packets, as the data I am going to exchange is not very large in size.

> Possibly, we can activate StringFeedback and at least get
> larger packets, (it's a one-line patch),

As I said, packet size really doesn't matter as long as I can communicate
anyhow.

> but until we do something using
> Atoms, you will suffer due endianness/sizeof intrinsics/padding issues.

I believe that's what the message passing extension in Xext is going to do.

> Excuse my stupidity, why are you not using GetTimeInMillis?

Could you elaborate?
--
Rafał Rzepecki