On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 17:45, Alex Deucher wrote:
> If the CP is enabled for acceleration on the radeon, could I also use
> it to issue Xv commands rather than using mmio?  It looks like it
> should be possible.  I'd be willing to give it a try.  would any sort
> of special locking be required or can I just issue the commands to the
> ring like the accel code does?

The latter.

> What kind of speed up would I expect if any?

None I guess, as Xv involves relatively little register write overhead.

Even if you mean transferring the image data as the r128 driver can, I'm
not sure it's worth the effort as direct writes to the framebuffer seem
to be at least as fast on well-configured current systems.

That being said, using the CP for all (or as many as reasonable)
register writes would have the benefit of not stalling the CP. Might
yield slightly better performance when mixing stuff which does and
doesn't currently use it.