First of all: Since I am new to this list (this is my first post), I do
hope that I'll be able to avoid the major pitfalls of what is considered
bad behaviour on this particular mailing list... :-)

Since I am currently writing a device manager for a cross-platform
windowing toolkit under OpenGL and right now working on the X port of the
toolkit, the behaviour of the device management is very important to me.

On the 26th of June, Egbert Eich concluded a discussion on the fact that
the type and name field of the _XDeviceInfo struct returned by
XListInputDevices contain information which is inconsistent with what the
documentation says by writing (in "Re: XInput: device name in
XListInputDevices"):

"Maybe this is the time to table all issues [with current extended input
management] we can come up with so we can find solutions.
In the meantime I will modify the input drivers to return the id's
predefined types in the type field and the product names in the
'name' field."

As far as I can see, this discussion on the behaviour of the extended
input devices promptly died. I don't really mind if it works the way
Egbert wants to make it work because it would then neatly cover what I
need for my toolkit port - I would say, however, that the current extended
device management as a whole seems rather unsophisticated.

What *is* important, though, is that the ->type field of the _XDeviceInfo
struct is made to contain something usable. As I understand it, Egbert
wants to make the ->type field contain an atom so that the following
quasi-code would make sense:

{
  _XDeviceInfo* device_list = XListInputDevices(display, &n);
  if (device_list[a].type == XInternAtom(display, XI_TABLET, true))
  {
    printf("Device %s is a tablet", device_list[a].name);
  }
}

Now I have two questions:

a) Should a device's type be tested in the above way once the fix Egbert
suggested has been implemented? I do hope so since it makes the most
sense...

b) When can we expect this fix to have been implemented? Is there already
a patch for it or will it surface in some distant full release of the X11?

Thanks in advance,
Claus Matthiesen

PS.
Egberts original full conclusion can be found at: