On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 03:38:14PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>David Dawes wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 02:01:00PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>>
>>>Matthieu (and Matthias),

>>>Fonts get built twice on Cygwin as well.  In fact, they probably get
>>>built twice on all platforms.
>>>
>>>The xc/fonts/util/Imakefile already has "includes:: ucs2any" in it in
>>>the version that I am compiling; yet, ucs2any is still run for each font
>>>during both the "includes" step and later during the "all" step.
>>

>> Maybe removing the includes part of MakeTruncatedUCSBdfFont and
>> MakeBdfFontFromUCSMaster would be sufficient?  I don't remember why the
>> conversion was done in the includes phase instead of the all phase, but
>> removing the includes part from those rules worked here when I just
>> tested it.
>
>David,
>
>Hmm... I don't know enough about how the fonts are built to say whether
>or not that is a good idea.
>
>However, I can say that changing SimpleProgramTarget(ucs2any) to the
>following stops ucs2any from being rebuilt when the DEPLIBS are built:
>
>NormalProgramTarget(ucs2any, ucs2any.o, , , )
>
>ucs2any doesn't depend on any X libs so this seems to be fine.

That looks OK too.

>> If it does need to be done in the includes phase, for example, because
>> a host version of ucs2any is needed to do the conversion when
>> cross-compliling, but a target version of ucs2any needs to get built
>> later for installation, then I'd just remove $(UCS2ANY) as a dependency
>> in MakeBdfFontFromUCSMaster().  If a dependency is still desired, make
>> it be the source rather than the binary.
>>
>> BTW, how are things like host vs target imake binaries handled when
>> cross-compiling?
>
>I think this are questions for Matthieu, right?

They're for anyone who has the answers :-).  We do currently install
ucs2any, so when cross compliling that would mean having a host version
to process the fonts and a target version to install.  I was wondering
how we deal with the same issue with imake (and other utilities that
get used at build-time) in case it affects the way to deal with the
current usc2any getting called twice issue.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com