On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, David Dawes wrote:

>>> That some libs have pkg-config support shouldn't be seen as indicative
>>> of anything in particular.  All of them are distributed separately
>>> by their primary author, which isn't true of the other libs in the
>>> XFree86 source tree.  It's likely that all of them will be moved to the
>>> xc/extras tree along with most other externally maintained components
>>> in the XFree86 source tree.
>>
>>If these libs provide the pkg-config functionality, it would be much easier
>>for autotooled programs to find the libs and compiler options needed to
>>compile themselves. If all libs are pkg-config'd it would allow the
>>programs to take advantage of the pkg-config for any program. It will not
>>hurt any of the current ways that X is currently supported. It will just
>>add the option for programs to use pkg-config.
>
>I can only recall one case in my own experience where an autotooled
>program had a problem concerning X-related libs.  Ironically those were
>exactly the libs that had pkgconfig support.  The autotool and pkgconfig
>combination didn't know where to look for the needed .pc files.

I've experienced this as well.  It's basically due to most
(perhaps all) OS distributions out there that ship pkg-config,
not having /usr/X11R6/lib/pkg-config in the default pkg-config
path, which is where XFree86 installs the pkg-config files by
default, making them somewhat useless on most systems without
reconfiguring the local pkg-config installation.

We move the XFree86 supplied .pc files into /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
where the default pkgconfig configuration can find them.  A
better fix would be either making XFree86 install them into
/usr/lib/pkg-config by default, or making the default
configuration file for pkgconfig contain the X11 pkgconfig
directory.

Thoughts?

--
Mike A. Harris