--- Michel D�nzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was
> support
>
> What else would xcompmgr be using, if not RENDER?

I dunno... I just never really looked at render too much.  As I recall
back when it was first everyone wanted to do compositing with it and
the general reponse was that it was only for AA text.  I guess we were
just lacking the compmgr and damage extention at the time...

> > [...] I may need to use the 3d engine,
>
> 'May'?
>
> > which then gets into a whole new can of worms with regard to state
> and
> > locking.
>
> I doubt it'll be all that bad, and anyway, you can worry about that
> once
> you have something working...

Yeah I know.  I doubt it'll be that bad.  It's just that I've gotten to
understand the 2d engine pretty well (or at least I think I do) and the
3D engine seems like this daunting "thing" out there.  However looking
at the code and databooks it doesn't look that complicated, I just need
to sit down and do it some day.  I'm just trying to get the most bang
from my limited time...

> > > functions,

> > > Plain old ScreenToScreen copy. trans_color (the last argument to
> the
> > > SetupScreenToScreenCopy function) holds the (source) color which
> is
> > > handled to be transparent. It's as simple as that. (hint, hint:
> > > sis310_accel.c) And MD is right, it's not a plain "transparent"
> > > bitblit,
> > > it's colorkeyed in fact (but only using one color key, not a
> range).
> > > Isn't used very often, though.
> >
> > Thanks for the pointers.  I'll take a look.  It may not be worth
> the
> > effort.
>
> Colour-keyed blits have been implemented in the radeon driver for
> ages... problem is, they're not what you'd like them to be. :)
> (XDirectFB uses them for SHAPE quite nicely though)

Yeah, I'm starting to understand how all this stuff fits together now.
Is there anyway xfree86 could use them for the shape extension? or does
it already?

Alex