On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 02:16:01 +0100, wim delvaux
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thursday 11 December 2003 00:48, Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:39:57 +0100, wim delvaux
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >The closed source drivers on the ATI website
>>
>> I tried them, but no success. But I think the problem is with KDE/OpenGL
>> because I managed to get at least the Desktop with Mesa working. Only when
>> I try to activate the ATI provided OpenGL lib I can't start X/KDE anymore.
>
>I tried it too and also had no success.  What version did you use ?

I was using the ATI drivers 3.2.8. Then I tried the ones from Suse 9.0 also
3.2.8. And I also tried the 3.2.7 download but I didn't know how to install
that because this was an RPM only and I found no makefiles within. When I
tried to load the module it said that my kernel is compile dwith gcc2 and the
module with gcc3 wich doesn't work.
I found a thread on linuxquestions which was quite good. At least it got me
going so far that X now uses the fglrx driver, but I still have the problem
that I can't use KDE with the 3D accelerated OpenGL. When I link against Mesa
everything works, but of course I have about 350 FPS on glxgears. When I trie
to use the provided OpenGL lib I get this errormessage when starting X:

DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-3627' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-3630' to 'knotify'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
startkde: Shutting down...
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...

I don't think that the Radon 9800XT is so much different than the Radeon
9800Pro so the drivers should work. But I think the problem is maybe with KDE.
Most of the users I found, which reported success were using Suse 9.0 so it
could be that they have an updated KDE.
I also tried the libGL.so from one of these users, but that gave me the same
errormessage. Of course it could be that I would have needed to copy other
lib*so files as well, but I don't think so. On the other hand I can run fvwm2
which works fine, but when I try to run glxgears it breaks also, so this
points to the OpenGL stuff. I don't know what else I could try.
Currently I install gentoo on my laptop and then I will see. I have a Radeon
900 Mobility in that, but I forgot to check how 3D works there. I plan to
install gentoo on my main machine as well, but this will take quite some time
until everything works. In the meantime I would be more than happy if somebody
could point out what could be wrong.

--
Gerhard Gruber
Maintainer of