I think the problem is:

error.c:58: warning: implicit declaration of function `vsnprintf'

since dm.h only #defines snprintf, not vsnprintf.  The link is then not
detecting vnsprintf in libXmu.so as the correct one.  I think my original
patch should then be ok.  References to snprintf in the code use
XmuSnprintf due the #define, and references to vsnprintf will link to the
snprintf.o.

Regards,

Lindsay Haigh

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    vensys.com          To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:            cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Subject:      Re: XFree86 4.4.0 RC1

                    e86.Org

                    12/12/03 09:32

                    Please respond

                    to devel

                       David Dawes

                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                       .Org>                cc:

                       Sent by:             Subject:     Re: XFree86 4.4.0
   RC1
                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                       ree86.Org

                       10/12/03 12:51

                       Please respond

                       to devel

      >--- programs/xdm/Imakefile      Tue Dec  9 12:37:45 2003
      >***************
      >*** 167,172 ****
      >--- 167,175 ----
      >
      >  #if HasSnprintf
      >  SNPRINTF_DEFINES = -DHAS_SNPRINTF
      >+ #else
      >+ SNPRINTFSRCS = snprintf.c
      >+ SNPRINTFOBJS = snprintf.o
      >  #endif

      Xdm is supposed to be using XmuSnprintf via this in dm.h:

      #ifndef HAS_SNPRINTF
      #include <X11/Xmu/SysUtil.h>
      #define snprintf XmuSnprintf
      #endif

      Can you tell us where this isn't working (maybe dm.h isn't included
      somewhere that needs this)?

      ---------------------
   The includes seem ok.  The problem is in the link:

   rm -f xdm
   LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib gcc -o xdm -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -DNO_ASM
   -Wall -Wpointer-arith  -ansi -pedantic     -L../../exports/lib   auth.o
   daemon.o server.o dpylist.o dm.o error.o file.o
   netaddr.o
   reset.o resource.o protodpy.o policy.o                session.o socket.o
   streams.o util.o xdmcp.o             mitauth.o               genauth.o
   access.o choose.o prngc.o              rpcauth.o    -lXmu -lXt -lSM
   -lICE
   -lXext -lX11 -lXau        -lXdmcp -lrpcsvc  -ldl    -lXinerama
   -lresolv
   -lsocket -lnsl
   vsnprintf                           error.o
   ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to xdm
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   *** Error code 1
   make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xdm'

   The files in exports/lib that vsnprintf is defined in are libXmu.so and
   libXmuu.so (plus the links libXmu.so.6.2 and libXmuu.so.1.0).  The '
   -lXmu'
   comes after the error.o that references it and doesn't appear to be
   UNDEFed
   in any of the included system libraries, so I'm not sure what the
   problem
   is.  I'm guessing it is a problem with my environment, and not a fault
   in
   the XFree86 build.  Perhaps the Xmu lib is being picked up from
   /usr/openwin/lib instead.  I'll keep looking and any suggestions are
   welcome.