Apologies in advance for this, but I've been pulling my hair out for
hours on this one.

My nephew (lives several hundred miles away) wanted to install linux on
his formerly win-xp machine (athlon 2800 xp, 512 MB, 2 large drives,
etc.) with Radeon 9700 Pro (128 MB) video card.  He went out and bought
Suse 9 and did a completely clean install (with me on the other end of
the phone line the whole time - he's new to anything not from MS).
Everything installed cleanly and the machine booted successfully,
HOWEVER:

The video card is not recognized.  It is a Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 Mb
of memory (AGP) and works correctly under the other OS, but although it
shows up in scanpci and lspci, the setup utility on Suse bombs and
cannot set up the card.  He is also singularly unable to run a simple
command (rpm -q XFree86) to tell me the version on that machine - and I
haven't been able to get the info from any Suse website (and his net
access is temporarily down until school starts again in January).

I've spent nearly the entire day (11 hours) with him on the phone trying
to find a solution but I nave other cards - no radeons - and my config
files don't help here).  XFre86 -configure fails, unable to find the
device.  If anyone has a working XF86Config file they can email me, I'd
greatly appreciate it (as a last effort before I tell him to turn off
linux until I can go visit him in 3 weeks).   I'm going out of town and
he is nearly desparate to get X up and running on this machine.

Please feel free to mail me privately if you can help.

Thanks and apologies for wasting the bandwidth.

Bill Austin

--
William W. Austin                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]