With help from the tips here, I've managed to build a debug version of
xterm.

This shows the font being used is
-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-p-98-iso10646-1

I verified that starting xterm with this as -fn produces the same
result as plain xterm (namely spaced out fonts).

It appears this is set in a call to XtVaCreateManagedWidget
        term = (XtermWidget) XtVaCreateManagedWidget(
                "vt100", xtermWidgetClass, form_top,

which is outside of xterm (i.e., not in code I can debug easily).  The
startup trace shows -fn set to (standard).

Also, a header file defines DEFONT as "fixed", but this is never used
in the code, as far as I can tell (with grep).   Again, 4.2.1 source.

Does this mean that xterm is picking up X's general default font?  If
so, where is that set?

Any clues would be great.

I also have some secondary questions about imake: is there any fuller
documentation than the man page and the related README?  I had trouble
figuring out which definitions I was supposed to tweak to enable
debugging.  I think I've got it after some experimentation, but that's
a little hokey.