On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:00:35PM -0700, Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Michael Taylor wrote:
>
> > Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> > > This came up while helping some clueless Windows exile(e):
>
> > > So, how come Debian "stable" is still at XFree86 4.1?
>
> > Because that is what they had in 'testing' when they released Debian 3.0r0
> > (woody) back in July 2002. Currently their 'testing' aka sarge has XFree86 4.2.1
> > plus patches (...-12.1) which is scheduled to be made their 'stable' release
> > possibly in Feburary I believe.
>
> > Debian's Changelog for XFree86 4.2.1
> > <http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/x/xfree86/xfree86_4.2.1-12.1/changelog>
>
> > I don't understand the Debian policy but it would be nice if at least 4.3.0 was
> > included in their release of sarge as stable next month.
>
> Yeah, and 4.3 is still "experimental" (not even "testing" or "unstable"),
> and we're about to release 4.4...
>
> Anyway, what's this user's easiest path to 4.3?

Install the experimental package (if he runs sarge or unstable already),
if he runs woody, the best guess would be Michel Daenzer's dri-trunk
packages :

  # Michel's DRI packages
  deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk ./
  deb-src http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk ./

As backporting 4.3.0 to debian/woody needs that you already have a
running 4.2.1 backport and some other dependency hell.

Friendly,

Sven Luther