On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 03:58, David Dawes wrote:
> Announcement: Modification to the base XFree86(TM) license.
>
> After a thorough re-examination of the XFree86(TM) license and reviewing
> how it fits in with the Project's long-stated licensing philosophy ("You
> can do what you like with the code except claim that you wrote it."),
> The XFree86 Project, Inc. has made some changes to its base license.
> This license review was prompted by a desire to ensure that XFree86 and
> its contributors are receiving due credit for their work.  The text of
> the modified license can be found at
> <http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html>.
>
> .../...

Hi David !

I'm no license/legal expert, but do that mean the licence becomes GPL
incompatible ? In that case, that basically means you are screwing up
any effort to make a decent graphics driver model in the linux kernel.

If I'm wrong on that, you can skip the rest of this email.

We rely heavily on the XFree drivers as those are updated & maintained
by the card vendors or people working for them ("nv" by Mark Vojkovich,
"radeon" by Hui Yu).

Losing the ability of porting code straight from these to the fbdev
drivers will basically kill all my efforts to turn the kernel radeonfb
into a decent driver as I need to be able to re-use the code ATI puts
in the XFree version. I suppose the same will happen to linux rivafb.

So right when we are considering a new & saner video driver model for
Linux, you are doing this move which screws up by blocking us from our
primary source of information & support from the gfx card vendors.

Ben.