On Tuesday 10 February 2004 03:07 am, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> To clarify, I did this:
> $ sudo dd if=/dev/mem of=/tmp/bios bs=1 skip=786432 count=32768

Thanks, this is a good tip.  To be clear, I am disassembling using the command

objdump -D -b binary -EL -m i386 -M addr16 -M data16 bios > bios.asm

I get different results if I drop either or both -M options.  Is it right this
way?  There are a good number of "out %ax,(%dx)" instructions together with
outsw and outsb.  I see many "call 0xabcd" instructions with a 4 digit hex
address.  Sometimes that address is the address of a nearby instruction, but
many times the address is not aligned with an instruction.  Something wrong
there?

I've seen lines like this in the log

(II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) I810(0): Will use BIOS call 0x5f05 to set refresh rates for CRTs.
(II) I810(0): Will use BIOS call 0x5f64 to enable displays.

Should I be looking in 0x5000 too?  Is there a way to get xf86 to tell me what
it is doing to narrow down the right BIOS function?  Finally, suppose I
figure out how the BIOS sets the video modes and how to modify it to set the
missing SXGA+ 1400x1050 mode.  How do I teach xf86 to use this?

Thanks a lot for the tips.

- L. Jensen