Hi,

First question:  Am I in the right place.  I am trying to write a
simple X Window program but XFee86 seems to focus on video cards or
chips.  So, if I'm not in the right place please tell me where to go but
not like my wife does.

If this is the place, I am starting into X Window programming and I
can't even get the simplest program to run.  It compiles and links fine
but always fails to make the connection to the display manager.  I have
spent 2 days pouring over the internet and trying all sorts of stuff but
nothing has worked.

I'm running RedHat 9.0 with XFree86 4.3 on an Intel clone.  Here is my
program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <X11/X.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>

/*************************MAIN******************************/
int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

  Display       *disp;
  int   screen = -1;

//Open the X Windows Display
  disp = XOpenDisplay("localhost:0.");

  if (disp == NULL){
    printf("Error opening X Display");
    return(-1);
  }
  screen = DefaultScreen(disp);
  printf("The default screen is: %d \n",screen);

  if (disp) {
    XCloseDisplay(disp);
    disp = 0;
  }
}

I have tried (NULL), ("Cody:0"), ("Cody:0.0") and ("Cody:0.1") as args
to XOpenDisplay.  But it never returns any but NULL and I never get what
the screen number is.

I'm starting to think it's a RedHat problem or an enviroment problem.
I also have xhost + set.

So at this point I am very frustrated with X Windows! :)

Thanks is advance to all.

Sincerely,
Rick Dempster