Jeff,

Thanks for the info (its good to know I'm not alone) and at least I now
have a backup plan if Xvfb cannot be fixed easily.  If I get stuck trying
to configure vncserver, could I contact you directly?

That said, it would be better if Xvfb worked without crashing.  Who looks
after the vfb code these days?  It would be nice to know if there's
anything I could do to help with fixing this bug.

Also, should I enter a bug in the Bugzilla to stop this from falling
between the cracks...

Cheers,

Paul.