On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:55:27AM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >I think that ATI is missing something here. I believe that Powerpc
> >hardware with ATI graphics represent a ever growing linux installed
> >base, with the G5 Powermac, with the new powerbooks, as well as with
> >non-apple powerpc boxes like the pegasos motherboards. But then, it is
> >probably that the ATI drivers are not endian clean, and that they can't
> >be bothered to make a powerpc build, even an unsupported one, probably
> >because of that, or maybe for some hidden reason like the intel-ATI
> >connection or something such.
>
> Even if it is "ever growing", it probably still only represents 1% of 1%
> of their total market.  It would take some pretty extreme dedication to
> the Linux movment to make a business case to devote even an single
> engineer to that cause. :(

Whatever. The truth is that outside of x86, there is actually not a
single graphic card vendor with recent graphic card which provide 3D
driver support. Until something changes, this mean the death of 3D
support on non x86 linux.

And then, seriously, do you believe it it will need a full time engineer
to make a powerpc build ? If the drivers were endian clean, then it
would only be a matter of launching a build, and track the occasional
arch related problem. Hell, if a volunteer project can make it, why
can't ATI ? And i would do it, if ATI would give me access to the needed
sources, under strong NDA or whatever, i would build their drivers, but
they don't want to. Chances of Nvidia releasing powerpc binaries are
worse even, altough it is possible that their drivers are more endianess
clean, if they share the code with the OS X driver, which i know ATI
does not.

The only real hope is that ATI will release the R300 specs once the R400
is released, but even there, i only half believe it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther