Hi!

I'm a bit new to this, so please forgive me if asking stupid questions.

I have had a look at the XvMC API for the purpose of eventually making a trial extension to the via driver for the via MPEG2 decoding engine. The current VIA API for this is accessing the HW mmio directly more or less without interaction and sync with the X server and will require root privileges.

Now, much of what's needed is there.. creating of contexts, surfaces and subpictures. The rest would require either an extension of the XvMC API or implementing just a subset of the XvMC calls and modify the VIA API to get surfaces and context from this "XvMC light" and interact with drm to be able to lock hardware and map mmio as a non root user.

I think this should be implemented as an indirect driver since this would eliminate the need for hw locking and dealing with memory protection issues while still keeping communications at a minimum, but this would require some extensions to the XvMC API mainly for describing an MPEG frame and for adding slice data. Looking at the XvMc code in current X, although the draft standard describes support for indirect functionality, the infrastructure (including protocol extensions and function hooks) does not seem complete ?

Also if implementing direct XvMC is considered, DRI seems very tightly coupled and mixed with Hw accelerated OpenGL . Is there a simple way to only get access only to the drm HW lock and non-root client mmio / framebuffer mapping? Hints to relevant documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas