We are concentrating on developing games which utilise polished 2d graphics engines,
rather than 3d. I know it sounds crazy but its what we want to do...

   With most 2d engines the number of pixels drawn is usually kept to a minimum, unless
there is a huge amount of overdraw going on, then its nearly always faster to draw
direct to the framebuffer. If we do need to scroll the whole screen, then we would try
to alter start of viewport address rather than transferring the entire screen.

   I'm just concerned that the DGA extension will be removed with no adequete
replacement.
The main issue with DGA seems to be the way it requires root privs and can write to
other parts of memory. Can we not have some sort of "/dev/dga" device or is this not
the place to ask ;)  is this not feasible?

James