--- Andreas Klemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi XFree86 dev team,
>
> how good does ATI support you in comparison to nVidia ?
>
> Is it only a manpower problem, that the new ATI cards
> based on R3xx chips are missing 3D support (I noticed that
> in the 4.4 release notes) ?
>
> Or is it just because you don't get easy hardware or
> developer informations from them ?
>
> A few days ago I had to call ATI hotline (where you have
> to pay $9.90 for phone support) because of some problems
> under XP...
>
> There I mentioned, that I had the feeling that nVidia seems
> to support XFree86 team more than ATI, since
> - drivers of up to date cards have been available in earlier
>   releases than 4.4 and
> - there are no restrictions concerning 3D mode
>
> I told ATI that for me as Windows and Unix user it had nearly
> been a reason, not to choose the ATI card, even if I think that
> ATI cards have better quality and design (256Bit RAM access,
> 8 parallel pixel shaders, ...).

I don't know how the binary drivers compare, but from what I've heard
they seem to support similar functionality.  I think in general though
ATI is more open to xfree86 and open soruce development.  they provide
databooks to just about all of their hardware and they regularly update
the open source driver with new codes drops.  nvidia only supports 2d
in the opensource "nv" driver they maintain through mark v. The open
source ati drivers support 2d and 3d for all chips from the mach64 to
the r200 radeons.  r300s only have 2d support.  This is reason enough
for me to buy ati products over nvidia ones.

Alex