On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:50:18 +0000 James Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>    I agree... Using our own code to write diirect to the framebuffer is by far
> the fastest method for our application. "shmputimage" is no replacement for
> that.. Its like saying a double decker bus is an adequate replacement for a
> Ferrari...

yup true - but then if that's your only choice...

> > but the point is - dga has valid uses. if the drivers simply flushed and
> > disabled all hardware accel pipelines when going int dga mode, then
> > re-enabled coming out, that'd be a nice simple way of handling it. it is a
> > pain - but it does have legitimate uses.
>
>    Sounds simple enough... can it be done?

i would say so - this needs to be done for vt switching... (the flush pipelines,
sync then put all rendering on hold)

> > then again i have issues with dga as it stands. firstly needing to be root
> > is one :/ secondly - last time (a LONG time ago now - so long i dont
> > remember when) going in and out of dga meant a screen reset by the driver
> > and so it was practically infeasible to combine dga rendering with normal
> > rendering by other clients. i seriously think maybe dga should be moved over
> > to be part of DRI. if DRI HAS to (for sanity) run a shadowfb system to make
> > this work - (when DGA is in use) so be it, but it would make it sane to use.
>
>   The "root" issue is unfortunate, but people seem less worried than they used
> to be about this if the software is from a trusted company.

true - but still, it would be nicer... :)

> > that said i do agree - the games or software should ALSO use shmputimage and
> > have a method to use that - on todays boxes it should be fast enough. there
> > still are things opengl can't do... :) though that keeps  being decreased in
> > number... :)
>
>    We could add a shmputimage for compatibility, but how do you sync frames
> to the vblank to ensure glitch free drawing, or does X take care of that?

errr - you don't. your best bet is the doublebuffer extension here and hope x
does the copy for you with the vsync in mind - otherwise its just a "best try"
if its got glitches - you've done your best. you've tried dga and it doesn't
work. u've tried double buffer and its not there - you don't have a lot of
choice left! :( better that it works and have tears etc. than doesn't run at
all! :)

熊耳 - 車君 (数田)                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)