Suresh Chandra Mannava wrote:
Dear Friends, We are porting Xfree86 on to a new 32bit RISC processor. We have test FPGA system running at 2.6 Mega Hertz (Bogomips 0.16) on kernel 2.4.7. proposed system(ASIC) runs on ~300Mhz.

My main concern is does Xfree86 can be tested on 2.6Mhz FPGA?
What is the minimum clock speed required to run X?
Which is the slowest clock speed system/processor that ran X applications?
Our test system supports 2GB of RAM.

I request your suggestions on feasibility of testing X on the above system.

I've run XFree on a 33 MHz 80386 (Linux). It was slow, but it worked. It had a whopping 16 MB memory, and a 1 MB VGA video card.

A closer comparison might be a 275 MHz StrongARM processor with
64 MB memory and a 2 MB video device (CyberPro 2000).  Painful
unaccelerated, but usable accelerated.  Used as my office desktop
for about 2 years, while I was developing on it.

--
Andrew E. Mileski