Barry Scott wrote:

I'm trying to get X to drive a display in portrait mode.
But the only driver that seems to work is the nVidia code
and the performance is terrible.

Are you talking about a monitor that is able to change its beam scanning, or are you talking about rotating a normal monitor, so that the beam scans from top-to-bottom? In the first case, almost any graphics card should be able to set up a 768x1024 mode for a standard monitor. However, the second case requires a graphics chip that knows how to scan its frame buffer differently. I know of very few chips with that ability, and a software simulation will always be unsatisfactory.

I'm especially interested in support on VIA's CLE266
and the Intel i810. And to make life more fun I need
to play movies, I'm using xine at the moment.

Neither chip supports hardware rotation.

--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.