Hi,

well, even after digging through lots of source code and documentation, I could really use some help. What I am trying to do is to emulate the MS-Windows behaviour which lets one enter arbitrary characters by using the Alt-Key while entering the character code on the numerical keypad.

What would have to happen in order to emulate this feature is pretty simple: after releasing the Alt-Key, two (down/up) extra events would have to be sent which carry the keysym for the character which has been entered. However, this is not possible because the events carry just the keycodes and not keysyms.

I currently see two solutions:
- To add some code to the keyboard driver which synthesizes the events using a keysym-to-keycode lookup. This poses some problems: what happens if no corresponding keycode exists for thei given keysym? And how does this go together with xkb processing?

- To extend Xlib so that the emulation happens on the client side. Of course this brings up even bigger problems: is there a central and reliable place to do this? XLookupKeysym and friends would have to keep some state and work together with some event dispatching magic. That doesn't really sound healthy.

Well, that's it for now. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
Joerg Henne