I bought a Matrox G550-dual-dvi card.

This card has only one special connector (called LH18)
and was delivered with an adaptor cable for two vga cables.

I had to bought a separate adaptor cable that has two digital
connectors to get true dual dvi.

This combination works with XFree86-4.4.99.13/xinerama (linux)
but the startup make problems.

Every time the X-server starts it hangs about a minute. In this
time the cards provides no output signal.

That means you have no chance to switch to a virtual terminal
and the LCD monitor goes to sleep.
The first item is painful, the second significantly cuts the
livetime of the backlight fluorescent tubes of two LCD-Monitors.

The hang always occurs after this line ..

(II) MGA(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000

in XFree86.0.log

After the hang the start proceeds normal. Nothing wrong is logged.
I tried out several driver options but none helped.

The (more usual) G550 card with a digital and a vga connector works
fine in xinerama mode.

Another point the two cards differ is console mode.
The G550-(dvi/vga) showed the boot screen on both monitors
the G550-(dvi/dvi) drives only one monitor.

Any help welcome.

--
Regards Klaus