On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Greg Stark wrote:

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

it is doing it to guarantee it can undraw its rubber banded "xored" lines to
display the outline where u are moving to or resizing to. if you disable this
you will get display artifacts and garbage on your screen if a program redraws
or changes its window contents while u are moving and resizing and a rubber band
is over that window.

Yeah, I actually figured that out after I sent the message.

Personally, while the rubber band artifacts are bad, the grabbed server is
worse. There is no opaque resize option in twm. I would welcome an option to
do opaque resizes or use some other method for avoiding the artifacts, but in
the meantime I would really like to get away without the grabs.

It's not like NoGrabServer is the default. Anyone enabling it can make the
decision for themselves if they prefer the visual correctness of the grab but
the practical problems of frozen clients versus the practical benefits of
avoiding the grab but the minor problems it causes.

... then, rework your patch to make this a separate option, taking care to clearly document what it does/affects in twm's manpage.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to see this generate even more bogus bug reports against the X server.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |