Tim Roberts wrote:

The problem is not XFree86, the problem is technology. I'm not aware of ANY commodity graphics chips that support a 12-bit palettized video display mode. That's mostly because Windows doesn't handle it, and if Windows doesn't handle it, there is no business case for developing it in hardware.

Assuming there was such a chip, there are no architectural barriers to supporting it in XFree86..

The fact that ExCeed 3D (which runs under Windows) can support it leads me to believe that hardware support has little to do with it. Remember that you can have a pseudocolor visual on a display that is physically truecolor. It just means that the X-server has to remap everything. I suspect the real reason is that nobody has ever wanted this support bad enough to write a patch. :)