Hello,

> I've got an old laptop with a WD90C24 video chip. By default, X comes
> up in 320x200x1, which is not too useful. While I am a competent
> programmer, I have not done device drivers for Linux.

As far as I remember that's a dumb framebuffer also known as ( or
closely related to ) PVGA1A and maxed out at 640x400x8 ( with a 256kB
board, I had one like that ages ago ) - no acceleration, 8 or 16bit ISA
interface, slowish. Should be fully VGA compatible though, so 640x480 in
16 colours should be possible with the generic driver.

have fun
Michael