On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 12:35:19PM +0100, Barry Scott wrote:
>David Dawes wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:56:16AM +0100, Barry Scott wrote:
>>

>>>I'm using the Unichrome driver with XFree86 4.5.0 and I'm hitting
>>>problems trying to use their latest code.
>>>

>I sent the previous message to fast and did not reply to you question
>correctly.
>The problem in the current CVS unichrome driver is a Opss when the via_drv.o
>deallocates a piece of DRM memory twice. Elsewhere in the Xserver DRM
>context
>1 is removed. (This occurs when the Xserver resets its self when the lat
>client
>disconnects and the  a new client connects and uses XVIDEO). It would
>appear that
>the via_drv.o code needs to be called back to tell it to shutdown. Is
>there such a
>call back to a driver? If so the via_drv.o code needs to arrnage for it
>to be called
>and clean up.

The via driver (X server) is supposed to take care of closing down and
cleaning up everything it has used when its CloseScreen function is
called.  I don't know if you're seeing a bug in the X driver or the
kernel driver.  Server reset is often a poorly tested case, but it is
usually straightforward to fix the problems that arise there.

>I'm about to ship a product with a work around to the bug in the
>Unichrome drivers.
>I'm not going to be able to doing any testing until a few weeks time.
>
>What I really need to know is do you have people that are supporting
>UNichrome for
>XFree86. I can work with them on getting the bugs fixed. However if
>unichrome
>does not have support then I going to be forced to Xorg that does have
>support, and
>I'm not happy with the stability of Xorg.

I'm not aware of anyone specifically working on the via driver for XFree86.
Why not take it on yourself?

David