In FreeBSD we create a struct bio object for each I/O request that goes to a
disk.  So, we create bio-s for all vdev zio-s that are to be passed down
including read, write, ioctl (disk cache flush) zio-s.  Previously, we freed
those bio-s in a callback from the I/O subsystem.  But since the ABD change we
had to move that to the io_done stage, because the callback's context is too
restrictive for abd_return_buf / abd_return_buf_copy (at least for the current
ABD implementation which is taken as is from illumos).  So, currently we are
leaking bio-s created for ioctl zio-s because the io_done stage is not called
for them.

There is probably another way to fix this problem as the ioctl zio-s have
nothing to do with ABD.  So, we could free their bio-s in the callback as we did
before and handle the regular i/o bio-s in the io_done stage as we do now.  This
should work, but at the cost of the less uniform bio handling code.

So, I wanted to see which of the solutions would be better from the point of
view of the general zio pipeline architecture.

Thank you.

--
Andriy Gapon

openzfs-developer