On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Igor Kozhukhov <i...@dilos.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have found one degradation after illumos update:
> illumos #6902
> https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/commit/
> 0d8fa8f8eba3ea46bc79d73445009505d1dd5d7d
>
> One public interface has been changed and applications with links to old
> interface are failed.

I think you're talking about the function signature of
zfs_iter_snapshots(), a function in libzfs, changing in May, 2016.  Libzfs
is not a public interface, and while we've tried to maintain compatibility,
there have never been assurances that the interface would not change.

> As example, it is Jenkins with oracle jdk8.
>
> I have found one way to be more universal with it and i’d like to propose
> one tested solution:
> https://bitbucket.org/dilos/dilos-illumos/commits/
> d07f769c2777115c9c9767f5dd7a60ea1ca9a7db

I agree, that would be a reasonable way to have addressed it.  I don't
think we'd make that change in illumos today.

> We have no versions control with libraries if we update interfaces what
> was piblished and can be using for links agains to others applications.
>
> like this situation, we can’t notify external vendors about updates in
> interfaces and as transition period to use previous library and move on to
> new version.
>
> I’d like to propose to use scheme:
> if interface was published - save it, mark it as old, provide new
> interface with suffix '2','3', etc, and if it is possible, use new
> interface as wrapper to previouse interface.

I think that's a reasonable proposal.  How would you define "published
interface"?

--matt

> It can helps to others vendors to have transition perion and switch to use
> new interface without brikages.
>
> It is my proposal for next ZFS updates.
> i have no ideas if it can be applicable to all illumos componets, but ZFS
> is shared project between others platforms and this solution can help.
>
> Best regards,
> -Igor
>
> *openzfs-developer* | Archives
> <https://openzfs.topicbox.com/groups/developer/discussions/T3962bc5196cae513-Ma89165b09da3ee0116012298>